Friday, October 17, 2014

In the Beginning...

 
 
 
 
 
 
I'd been telling myself since this idea came up, that I would blog about it.  This is a significantly different thing in my life.
 
For those unaware, I'm moving into an RV.  "What??!!  Why?!?"  The short of it is, I have my reasons.  ;)  People have been very supportive of this decision, though I'm not sure why.  Nobody has told me this is a dumb idea.  I don't mind sharing that I'm pretty nervous of the prospect, though I haven't thought that I should back out.  I do, truly, believe God would have me do this at this point in life.  I don't know what to expect, and I'm sure the willies will die down soon enough.  For the moment, though, it's a bit unnerving.
 
There is no direction of this blog.  I'll be sharing pictures, I'm sure; writing about challenges, ideas, directions God has me move.  Quite possibly talking about nothing RV-ish at times.  I kind of hope this to be a catch-all in a journaling sense.
 
Some months ago, I'd started following the Tiny House 'movement'.  For those unaware, the Tiny House Movement is a generalized term used when discussing the prospect of living in a less-than-full-sized home.  Generally (but not always) this refers to homes that are built 'conventionally' using standard methods - 2x4's, wallboard, shingles, etc.  The key is these homes are very commonly under 400 square feet.  Most of them are built on 'utility trailers'.  In this fashion, they are considered 'RV's' in most jurisdictions.  They are attractive to many for the (1) comparatively low cost to standard homes, (2) the mobility, (3) emphasis on 'simple living' for both personal and environmental reasons (I'm sure there are others).  All of these points are attractive to me.  I generally live a pretty spartan life (in my humble opinion) and have very little need for additional things.  And, who doesn't like the idea of not having a mortgage or rent payment?  The idea of being 'mobile' wasn't of foremost consideration, but it does open options; my work is such that I can (quite literally) work anywhere in the world there is electricity and an internet connection.  I'm in IT, don't be jelly.  ;)
 
So, no 'tiny house', but an RV?  For the moment.  A 'tiny house' requires a snotload of work (in addition to the up-front cash) that I did not have time for.  There have been extenuating circumstances that demanded my energies be placed elsewhere in the recent past.  As such, an RV was a good second choice.
 
I've gotten a 1996 Ford F350 Dually diesel truck with a 5th wheel hitch, and a 1998 Cardinal 38' RV.  Older, you bet.  I have no idea what I'm doing.  I've never had a truck, never a big truck, nor a diesel, nor a dually, nor a fifth wheel, nor an RV.  What the hey, I'll give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment